I was so surprised to receive an email from Sara DaSilva requesting a blog post from me. It is nice when others think about you. Well, the Beta chapter of Phi Sigma Rho has certainly changed since 1988. I am really blessed and grateful to see the sorority and prosper after all these years. It seems like it was only yesterday when I was part of the chartering process instead of 22 years ago. There were the four of us, trying to get to know each other, establishing a cause that was bigger than any one of us individually. Looking back, we were all from different backgrounds—having nothing in common than the fact that we were women engineering students. Actually, I did not know the other young women before we journeyed on this path together. But, look at the legacy we have in place today! I am so excited about the future and longevity of Phi Sigma Rho’s Beta chapter.
What I would like to see in the future would be that we continue to reach out to other engineering women and share with them the sisterhood of Phi Sigma Rho. That is really the only way we can grow, evolve and learn from each other. Actually, we have more in common than our physical differences. At some point, hopefully, we will all face the life’s transition of becoming a mother, wife and technical professional. I am going to challenge each active sister to approach a potential sister about Phi Sigma Rho, but that young woman cannot look like them; I think everyone knows what I mean.
To have sisters my choice and not by blood is an experience I totally enjoy. Being the “senior” and founding sister in the room when I meet with the Beta chapter is a totally awesome experience. It is funny too, because I am able to show them what mid-40s look like! And from where I sit, it looks good! I also learned how to play corn hole this year. When I asked what that was, they were amazed that I didn’t know what that game was! Well, they taught me how to play corn hole and we had fun laughing at each other. They learn from me and I learn from them—and that in itself is what makes Phi Rho rewarding to me.
I look forward to seeing how we meet this challenge. I will be watching and cheering you on from the sidelines!
Mary J. McWilliams
Phi Sigma Rho, Beta Chapter
Alpha Class
What I would like to see in the future would be that we continue to reach out to other engineering women and share with them the sisterhood of Phi Sigma Rho. That is really the only way we can grow, evolve and learn from each other. Actually, we have more in common than our physical differences. At some point, hopefully, we will all face the life’s transition of becoming a mother, wife and technical professional. I am going to challenge each active sister to approach a potential sister about Phi Sigma Rho, but that young woman cannot look like them; I think everyone knows what I mean.
To have sisters my choice and not by blood is an experience I totally enjoy. Being the “senior” and founding sister in the room when I meet with the Beta chapter is a totally awesome experience. It is funny too, because I am able to show them what mid-40s look like! And from where I sit, it looks good! I also learned how to play corn hole this year. When I asked what that was, they were amazed that I didn’t know what that game was! Well, they taught me how to play corn hole and we had fun laughing at each other. They learn from me and I learn from them—and that in itself is what makes Phi Rho rewarding to me.
I look forward to seeing how we meet this challenge. I will be watching and cheering you on from the sidelines!
Mary J. McWilliams
Phi Sigma Rho, Beta Chapter
Alpha Class
No comments:
Post a Comment