Thursday, May 20, 2010

Guest Blog: Melissa Misko, Case-Omicron Alumna

Here is a guest blog from Melissa Misko, an Alpha class member of the Case Western-Omicron chapter. 

Accidentally in Love…with Phi Sigma Rho!

Upon matriculation into Case Western Reserve University in the Fall of
1999, joining a sorority was the last thought on my mind.  However, as
I discovered more about Greek Life, and as a female engineer at a
predominantly male university, I was impressed with the strong
friendships and female support provided by sororities.  There was only
one problem, none of the available sororities seemed like a good fit.
When an email circulated in Fall 2002 looking for female engineers
interested in starting a chapter of Phi Sigma Rho, I was intrigued.
No, strike that.  I was more than intrigued – I was ecstatic.
Finally, I felt like Cinderella – this shoe might fit!  I enlisted the
help of my roommate, fellow engineer, and friend, Kathy (Beck) Johnson
and a colony was formed.  After months of hard work, we officially
became a chapter on Dec 6, 2003.

Looking back over the last 7+ years, I am eternally grateful for the
amazing women I have met through Phi Sigma Rho.  I would not be who I
am, or where I am, without my extraordinary sisters.  I have been
supported through a career change from engineer to optometrist,
through a cross country move from Cleveland to Chicago and finally Ft.
Lauderdale.  We have celebrated promotions, engagements, and weddings
together.  I have been challenged emotionally, intellectually and
physically by these women I call sisters and friends.  To sum it all
up (and end my ramblings! :) ), I am reminded of a recruitment t-shirt
we made with the slogan, “Accidentally in love…I never expected to
join a sorority.”

To all my Phi Rho sisters, thank you for your
unconditional love, limitless support, and timeless friendship – PRL
forever, Melissa

No comments: