Thirtysomething Sorority
As an undergraduate, I speculated, Alumnae must have an empty life to remain so active w/the sorority....I realize now, as an Alumna, how empty my life would be without it.
Thanks to a very dear friend and sister, who excels at bringing people together, a group of Betas from the late 90's meet annually for a sorority reunion weekend. The weekend usually consists of an event (sightseeing, spa day, activity), lots of catching up, a nice dinner and of course, one night to relive our youth (read: intoxication). Over the years, the trips had varying participants due to money, time, babies, travel, etc but there is one constant and that is trust & integrity. This is the group you can be open and honest with sans judgement. If you are having a challenge in your life, chances are, someone in the group has had or is having the same challenge. During this year's trip, one women noted how easily our sisters from different generations, classes, chapters just seem to "fit in" with us upon arrival. That is a testament to the character of the women of Phi Sigma Rho.
A woman of Phi Sigma Rho, is a woman of intelligence & integrity. She seeks to navigate the challenges of her daily life in the same overachieving manner she tackled her degree with... but doesn't always have the answers to family and work questions like she did to engineering problems. Having other successful, like minded, women to discuss these challenges with, knowing without question they want you to succeed as much as you do, is the kind of support many people (even people who joined those other sororities in college) yearn for. Knowing these women always have my back, through bad boyfriends, stupid career decisions, life's little mishaps, means the world to me. I am closer to some more than others but I know I can call any one of them in a time of need...because they can always call on me.
As I sit here in China (on a business trip), sipping hot water w/flowers floating in it ("tea"), I once again, count these women, whose love I can feel literally halfway around the world, as one of the greatest gifts life has given me. Without them in my life to share my experiences with hard boiled egg facials, chicken foot soup and strange tea - my life would be quite empty.
Much PRL,
Christa :)
No comments:
Post a Comment