Thursday, April 22, 2010

Guest Blog: Ada Barlatt, Rutgers-Xi Alumna

Hello everyone. We continue our guest blog series with a note from Ada Barlatt, a Rutgers-Xi Alpha class founder.

Hi Phi Rhos!

It was a pleasant surprise to be invited to give a guest blog. I have
many fond memories of Phi Sigma Rho at Rutgers. I am very proud to be
a member of this Sorority - it is amazing how much Xi Chapter has
grown and how the Sorority has expanded across the United States!

At first I was uncertain what I should include in my blog message, but
when I received the message below I knew I had to share it with all of
you! On April 27, the National Girls Collaborative Project will be
hosting a webcast titled: "Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics". I think that this webcast discusses a
topic that is relevant to each one of us -- both for the future of our
profession, but also for the future of Phi Sigma Rho.

I encourage each one of you learn more about the nation-wide
conversation regarding Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and
Mathematics (STEM), perhaps you could attend the webcast or read the
report. With our perspective as female professionals and students in
STEM fields we are uniquely positioned to express our views and share
our experiences. There are many perspectives on this topic, some I
agree with, some I do not. Nevertheless, I am sure that the Sisters of
Phi Sigma Rho will continue to play a significant role in encouraging
more women to pursue careers in engineering and the engineering
profession will be better because of it.

Keep up the good work!

PRL always!
Ada Barlatt
Rutgers-Xi Alpha Class


National Girls Collaborative Project April Webcast: Why So Few? Women
in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 2:00 - 3:00 Eastern Standard Time.

In an era when women are increasingly prominent in medicine, law and
business, why are so few women in science and engineering fields? A
new research report by AAUW (the American Association of University
Women) funded by the National Science Foundation, presents compelling
evidence that can help to explain this question. Join us to hear a
presentation of eight recent research findings profiled in Why So Few?
Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics that point
to important environmental and social barriers - including
stereotypes, gender bias and the climate of science and engineering
departments in colleges and universities- that continue to block
women's participation and progress in science, technology,
engineering, and math. The presentation will include ideas for what
each of us can do to open scientific and engineering fields more fully
to girls and women.

A free copy of the report is available for download at:
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/whysofew.cfm.


The goal of the National Girls Collaborative Project is to maximize
access to shared resources within projects and with public and private
sector organizations and institutions interested in expanding girls'
participation in STEM. Webcasts are offered throughout the year
addressing research-based strategies in informal learning and
evaluation and assessment. Webcasts and resources are archived and
available for viewing.

No comments: