Tailgating
It's football season, and everyone knows what that means: tailgating season! Tailgating with your sisters can be a great activity. Just remember to follow the Risk Management guidelines, specifically the following:
- No alcohol may be purchased with sorority funds.
- No alcohol may be served if it is doubling as a rush function.
- Alcohol must be either dispensed by a licensed third-party OR brought by a sister for her own consumption (limited to a 6-pack of beer or equivalent).
- Sorority letters and pins may not be worn while drinking.
- Additional guidelines can be found in the governing docs, Policy 3.19-1. These documents can be found on the website, http://www.phisigmarho.org, under Resources > National Documents.
Swine Flu
The H1N1 Influenza virus has been cropping up at campuses all over the place. A local university near where I live actually had to quarantine a couple of dorms! While this doesn't fall too squarely under Risk Management, it is worth mentioning. The only real effect will be if certain members cannot attend chapter. I would recommend that chapters put a policy in place for this type of thing. If there is some sort of outbreak, and several members cannot leave their dorms, what happens? Each chapter should determine the "what ifs" for this very situation just in case. Suggestions are: Chapter via chat/e-mail (make sure it is private) or conference calls. Do you have another suggestion? Put it in the comments or e-mail it to me! No matter what the chapter policy is, you must notify your RFD if something occurs. She will be able to work with you to make sure deadlines are either still met or extended if necessary.
Programming
As you know, each chapter is required to attend a Drug and Alcohol Awareness Program twice per academic year. Stories surface frequently about binge drinking and drug problems on college campuses. While this may not be the "norm" for a college student, awareness is key. Not all such events can be avoided, but awareness will certainly help. What does your campus do for Drug and Alcohol Awareness? Do you have any other Risk Management programming? I'd love to hear about it - post a comment or drop me a line!
Hazing
Hazing is a terrible practice, but it is one that persists. Who hasn't heard a horror story about one of their local sororities or fraternities? I heard many in my college days. Sadly, most of the things you hear are rooted in truth. One story that I remember was that of candidates subjecting themselves to inspections. They would strip down to undergarments, and their "sisters" would mark what they called "problem areas" on their bodies with a marker. It's a terrible thing. I'm confident that all Phi Sigma Rho sisters know that these practices are absolutely prohibited; however, did you know that, in many staes, they are also illegal? A few examples:
- Arkansas: Hazing is a Class B Misdemeanor (punishable by up to 90 days in prison and up to a $500 fine) and includes expulsion from whatever school the offender attends.
- California: If no serious bodily injury occurs, it is a misdemeanor (punishable by a fine of $100 - $5,000 and up to a year in prison). If bodily injury occurs, it can even result in a felony charge!
- Florida: Depending on the specific situation, it can be either a felony or a misdemeanor and can carry a penalty of up to five years in prison!
- All three states also provide for the victims to file civil suit for damages in addition to pressing criminal charges.
What can I do for you?
Does your chapter have Risk Management concerns or questions? What can I do to make things easier for your chapter? Is there anything I can clarify? I'm happy to help in any way that I can - that's what I'm here for. I know that sometimes things can get sensitive within a close-knit chapter, but that doesn't mean you can't come to me for help. I can make sure to be very discreet, and your e-mail will remain confidential.
I hope this has been informative, and, as always, I welcome your comments, questions, or suggestions! Feel free to post them here or to e-mail me.
Phi Rho Love,
Becky (Caldwell) Frye
National VP of Standards
VPofStandards [at] phisigmarho [dot] org
No comments:
Post a Comment